Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Craig Maher's Letter

Dear Editors:


I know that you have already received a number of letters from faculty in response to your assertion that UW-O can show leadership during the state’s budget crises by having faculty teach more. As anecdotes always seem to make good stories, I thought it might be useful to share with you an email I received yesterday:

“Dr. Maher,
Hello. I just thought I would drop you a quick note to tell you about the job status with …. I had my second interview with the full commission last night. Everything went well and … made me a job offer this morning, which I will be officially accepting tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated your help in my job search.
I also wanted to let you know that I think getting my MPA (not quite yet) played a significant role in me getting this job. All the research that I have done, the papers that I have written and the presentations for all the classes that I have completed thus far have played a key role in preparing me, and giving me the confidence to seek, and get this job. I am going into this new role feeling pretty confident, all because of the training that YOU have provided me, and I thank you for that. One note that will make you happy is that … has already informed me that starting in July he wants me to help him prepare the 2006 budget. I am looking forward to the opportunity of putting my MPA training to use. Have a great summer, and thanks again.”


If my course load increases, which is already more than most of my colleagues at other institutions, how can I continue to do the research for which I have an immense passion, continue to provide community service (including helping your reporters) and most importantly provide the mentorship that our students need. It simply can’t happen; something will have to give. So, can you tell me what should I give up when the State created a problem for which local governments and the University System are receiving the bulk of the blame?


Craig Maher
Assistant Professor
Masters of Public Administration Program

No comments: